Monday, December 12, 2011

Tipping at SWTOR - Crafting Materials

Quick post while I'm thinking of it.

I was going through various SWTOR websites to pass the time before Early Access, and the workday that prevents me from enjoying it like a true geek, when I came across a useful piece of information, which I will share with you now. It's even related to my recent binge of posts about crafting.

As mentioned so many times, you go forth into the world/galaxy, gather materials and go make stuff. Aside from the usual reasons for crafting - I Want To Make The Things and I Want To Level The Skills - there's the third and in some ways most important reason to craft: I Want My Inventory Space Back. You build up various materials in hopes of making things but eventually have to stop and either craft or store them in your bank, just so you have space for anything new.

Now, being able to send companions off to craft while questing is valuable for this, but not as valuable as this little tidbit:

You can craft items with materials that are in your bank.


Yes, that's right. You don't need to have it on you to use it. You can stow your hundreds of Desh and then, with no Desh on your person at all, craft with it. This, this is brilliant. I can see myself wishing for this in so many other games.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! That makes me even more happy and likely to do some crafting. Not, admittedly, that I've avoided it before....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to Blizzard, steal this idea for World of Warcraft. Also steal the idea of area of effect looting. In fact, just continue to steal ideas from SW:TOR, Guild Wars 2 next year and other games like usual.

    In all seriousness, I'm surprised that crafting items from materials in your bank wasn't implemented in the first place for games in general.

    As you brought up in previous blogs, in my para-phrasing version, about how professions are boring in nature and more of assembly lines just producing products one after another, it's good to hear that this is a positive step in the right direction.

    Crafting needs to be creative, have random chances at stats and/or gear effects, similar to how the Diablo games do it with RNG on dropped items. I'd like it to be where making the gear feels personal and not just something I worked for, but earned it too.

    ~Xiana

    ReplyDelete